Actions we’ve taken
- We’ve completed Life Cycle Assessments for all our product categories.
- We’ve started the roll-out of an eco-design tool called EcodEX, which we will use to assess and optimise environmental sustainability holistically across the entire value chain.
- We’ve promoted best practice through the Sustainable Agriculture Initiative at Nestlé (SAIN) and continued implementation of our Responsible Sourcing Audit and Responsible Sourcing Traceability programmes.
- We’ve completed 36 projects through our Energy Target Setting Initiative this year (investing a total of CHF 82 million) saving circa 173,000 tonnes CO2eq.
- We’ve approved investment of more than CHF 120 million in environmental improvements in our factories worldwide.
- We’ve launched our Beyond the Label initiative to give consumers more product information.
Challenges we’ve faced
- Helping consumers better understand and improve the environmental impacts of products. We continuously enhance the environmental information we provide to consumers about our products, based on scientific evidence.
- Developing the scientific knowledge needed to accurately understand environmental evolution and phenomena to inform decision-making. We are building greater knowledge internally and externally.
- Ensuring the provision of raw materials satisfies our demanding environmental requirements. We give preference to suppliers who continuously strive to improve the efficiency and sustainability of their operations.
- Achieving zero waste to landfill. In many countries appropriate recycling facilities infrastructure is missing, especially for hazardous waste.
- Managing sustainable growth while water is increasingly scarce.
- We’ve run Sustainable Agriculture Initiative Projects (SAIN) in 46 countries including Brazil, Ecuador and Kenya.
- We’ve audited 2,261 first-tier suppliers.
- In 2012, we purchased 80% certified sustainable palm oil. (13% traceable RSPO certified oil and 67% Green Palm certificates.)
- We’ve launched Responsible Sourcing Guidelines for fish and seafood, dairy, and meat and poultry.
- We’ve halved our direct GHG emissions per tonne of product since 2002.
- We’ve reduced our energy consumption by 38% per tonne of product since 2002.
- We now have 39 factories contributing zero waste to landfill.
- By the end of 2012, 418 factories, 130 distribution facilities and 24 R&D centres became certified ISO 14001:2004.
- We’ve phased-out more than 92% of refrigerants with high global warming and ozone depleting potential in our industrial operations.
- We’ve shifted from road to rail and sea shipping in Europe, which helped us save around 5,300 tonnes of CO2 equivalent in 2011.
- Use 27% of recycled material in our packaging.
- We’ve been ranked number 1 in the 2012 Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index and Carbon Performance Leadership Index.
- We were awarded the RobecoSAM Silver Class, receiving the highest score in the climate change strategy, environmental policy/management system, packaging and water-related risk sections of the 2012 SAM–DJSI Indexes among food producers.
- We’ve been recognized on the “Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World”, announced by Corporate Knights.
- We received the 2012 Philippine Environmental Partnership Program (PEPP) Track 1 Award for demonstrating Superior Environmental Performance in our Pulilan Factory and Cagayan Distribution Center.